and it’s over!

24 Apr

This week was the big reveal for Britton having post opp appointments to clear him following surgery. It was an adventure to say the least. We had moved his appointments around to accommodate closing on our house that was supposed to happen last week but didn’t (much more on that later as i transition to blogging about the entire experience). The weather up here has been bizarre this “spring” and Monday’s forecast was no exception. It rained all morning and snow was predicted that afternoon. As we waited around to hear about our supposed close on the house I began to get anxious with the impending bad weather. Finally, around 3 pm we heard from our loan officer that we wouldn’t be able to close (she knew at about 1 pm) and so we decided to ditch Sioux City and head back up to Rochester.

After taking a pit stop at home to take care of the cat we were on the road by about 3:30.  About 30 minutes into the drive we realized it was going to be one heck of a trek as sleet began piling up on the highway causing a weird slush to form on the road.


We made it to the Minnesota line with little issue but that’s about as far as we went before our 4 hour trip became a 7 hour nightmare.  About 5 miles east of Jackson, MN and at about 5:30 pm, we hit a slick patch of road that sent us into a slow and steady spin resulting in us sliding into a ditch in the median.  Surprisingly, I didn’t panic.  We were spinning so slowly into that ditch that Britton just told me to relax as he reached over to calm my nerves and so I did.  Once we were in said ditch Britton immediately started to get us out of it, rocking the car forward and backwards to get some traction.  It didn’t work.  I was already reaching for the AAA card while he attempted the save.  Mud spewed all over my car.  Our back left tire was in about 8 inches of water and mud and there was no way we were going to make it out ourselves.


After I had AAA set up with a tow a Highway Patrol showed up to make sure we were alright.  He waited on the side of the road with us with lights flashing while we waited for our tow.  We were in the ditch for about an hour before our saviors, Danver Towing, showed up to get us out of the ditch.  Just a simple pull and we were out.  We had hoped to get ahead of this storm just east of where we landed in the ditch… That was before we were stuck there for an hour.


Once we were on our way again the storm got worse instead of better.  Visibility was WAY down and we were driving an average of 45 mph for about the next 90 miles.  There were even a few times that our car began to slide but going so slow (often as low as 30 mph) we were able to remain in control.  Once we hit Albert Lea the snow turned to rain again and the roads were warm enough that there wasn’t any ice!  Thank goodness!

We pulled into Rochester at around 10 pm and had to stop for fast food for dinner (barf!)  I think we were asleep by 11/11:30 only to have to wake up at 5:15 to make it to Britton’s MRI by 6:15 am.  It was a long night of tossing and turning.  We hadn’t thought much about his appointments since we have been so wrapped up in the house situation but it was hitting me that night.  We would finally get to see how he has progressed with actual documentation, not just our belief of progress.

After his early morning MRI we had an audiogram at 10 am and then our appointment with the neurosurgeon at 11.  We got a print out of Britton’s audiogram results right away and had his last one to compare it to.  It was amazing.  His last audiogram showed he had only 80% word recognition in his right ear.  That was the issue from the start, not being able to discern speech.  This time he had 100% recognition.  One Hundred Percent.  All his doctors said he wouldn’t gain hearing back but he proved them all wrong.  He is a miracle.  Immediately following surgery his surgeon said he would probably have no hearing in that ear.  And now we have proof it IMPROVED!  Britton said they did the entire test through the right ear so he even received instructions through his right ear and he could understand everything!


The appointment with the neurosurgeon was next and our trip just got better and better.  We talked with Dr. Link about Britton’s progress and he did a few minor tests to see how his balance was and everything was awesome!  He was as shocked as we were with his audiogram results and had nothing but good things to say about his progress.  We got to look at Britton’s MRI’s side by side to see the change and it was amazing.  Where there was once a bright white tumor (that’s how it shows up in the MRI) now there was black space and brain!  Just as it should be.  There was one bright speck of white that he said we will need to watch over the next few years but nothing of major concern!  Next year we will get another MRI done in Sioux City and have the results sent up to Dr. Link to review.  That process will probably go like that for the rest of his life to make sure nothing grows back but that’s something we can definitely live with!

Our drive home was beautifully uneventful  and we closed on the house this morning.  So what started out as a miserable week has already turned right around!  Thanks to our friends and family for all of their support over the last six months.  We couldn’t have done it without you!


3 Responses to “and it’s over!”

  1. Colleen Carlson April 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

    Has been an eventful journey for you two since the wedding… praying for all smooth sailing from this point on…so happy to read that Britton has regained the hearing he had lost…miracle! So much love and so many prayers sent your way!

  2. Kendra G. April 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

    Wonderful news!! Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to see pictures of the new house! xoxoxo

  3. Sydney Liebman April 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

    Oh mygosh — Ashley — this is all such wonderful news!! I’m so thrilled for both of you. Be sure to post pics of the new house. I love you both — Auntie Sydney

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: